A cycle ride around Chichester Harbour Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty taking in lovely harbour views, a trip across the channel on a ferry, lots of refreshment opportunities and a visit to a historic village. Best of all, the route is virtually flat. The full circuit is seasonal as the ferry only works in the summer months from April until the end of October. However, the remainder of the trail can be enjoyed all year round.
This trail is provided by the Chichester Harbour Conservancy. Please check ferry running times before setting out.
1. Park at Chichester Marina visitors' car park.
2. Pick up the Salterns Way cycle route going south and follow it as far as Itchenor.
3. Instead of turning left just after Itchenor church, continue down the road to the waterside.
4. Walk down the jetty with your bikes and wait on the left hand side for the ferry. Be patient it may be a few minutes before it arrives. Once off the ferry, walk along the path straight ahead. Turn left and follow the road round to Bosham. A short section of this road is tidal so if it is high tide you may have to wait 5 or 10 minutes for the road to clear. Check the tide times before you set out and aim to arrive here at least half an hour before high tide.
5. At Bosham, turn right by the tea shop and then first left along High Street. You will pass the church and then come to Quay Meadow which is a great place for a picnic.
6. When you have finished in Bosham, cycle north out of the village past the craft centre. Stay on the road as it bears right and past the school. You will shortly be able to pick up the South Coast Cycle Route 2. Turn right onto Fishbourne Road (A259) and use the cycle lane. This is just a short stretch on the main road which can be quite busy.
7. For a short break, turn right at the Bulls Head and cycle down to Fishbourne Mill Pond where there are some benches.
8. Back on Fishbourne Road continue for a few minutes then turn right onto Apuldram Lane South. After about 400m, leave the road and go through the wooden kissing gate on your left. You are now on the Salterns Way. Follow the Salterns Way signs.
9. Before turning down the farm track, you could continue straight ahead to reach The Crown and Anchor pub at Dell Quay. Otherwise, follow the Salterns Way signs until you reach Chichester Marina. At the marina turn left to return to your car.
Please only cycle on designated routes and on the roads. Footpaths are only for walking and can be badly damaged by bicycles.
The starting point for the trail is the visitors' car park at Chichester Marina. As the route is circular it can be started at other points along the way. There are car parks at both Itchenor and Bosham. If you want to start in Chichester then follow the Salterns Way and join the trail in Fishbourne. There are train stations in Fishbourne and Chichester.