This walk begins near the Mucky Duck public house at Tismans Common and takes us out in a circle to the west as we walk through the grounds of the Rikkyo School and briefly on the Sussex Border Path.
• Begin by walking down the lane, away from the pub until you reach a left hand footpath immediately after the first track (Barnsfold Lane) on your left, also signed as a footpath. Go through the pedestrian gate and track half right across the field.
• Passing though another small gate, cross the lane and head up the driveway ahead of you (Tismans Farm). In sight of the main house, fork right on the footpath past a house. Immediately after this go in to the field via another little gate away from the driveway.
• Hugging the right hand side, follow the path in to the woodland via another gate. Stay ahead and maintain your direction through the woodland until, whilst on a slight incline, you see a three way finger post. Turn left. Stay ahead finally to drop down to reach a driveway in the grounds of the Rikkyo via a stile. Turn left.
• Go through the gateway ahead of you (you are now on the Sussex Border Path) and continue ahead at the crossroads to walk alongside a hedge on a wide grass track (bridleway) soon to cross a small driveway and then, maintaining your direction, exit the grounds of the school via a pedestrian gate in to the woodland.
• Stay ahead through the woods to reach a 5 way crossroads. Continue on the metal lane exactly ahead of you (no footpath sign) to walk through an open scrub area. After 1000 yds or so, keep alert for a finger post (on your right) taking you over a small footbridge over the ditch on your left away from the lane.
• Follow the path to exit this open scrub in to a field, via a pedestrian gate and track half left. At the end, exit the field via another gate. Turn right along the wide grass path to the end (of the field) and turn left at the T junction. Go slightly uphill for 20 yds and turn right away from this track, up the grassy bank following the footpath sign. Follow the field all the way around its corners hugging the right hand side to shortly enter the woodland. Maintain your direction in it (ignore the finger post you see almost immediately off to your right). Staying on high ground, the bridleway, veering left, now follows round the field, which it skirts.
• At the T junction, turn left to follow a wide open grassy path. This brings you down on to a track, past a pretty cottage on your left. When you meet a crossroads, turn right and stay on this lane (Baynards Lane) to eventually bring you back down to the lane on which you parked.
• Turn right to reach the pub again which will be on your left.
Tismans Common is a mile south west of the A281. Parking is available on the verge down the lane, off the Bucks Green to Rudgwick road, from the pub. Horsam has regular train services into London and to Arundel and the South Coast.