This trail explores the countryside and Beckley village to the north of Stanton St. John. On route you will pass the stately house of Woodperry and follow a small section of the Oxfordshire Way long distance path with its fine views across the surrounding flood plain.
The trail starts at The Talkhouse Inn on the south east corner of the village.
• Walk up Middle Road past the village shop to the church.
• From the church turn left into Pound Lane. After passing Rectory Farm and immediately after Snows Lane take the footpath on the right past the allotments. Follow the track to Woodperry Farm buildings. Turn onto the gravel track passing Woodperry House to reach the unnamed road.
• Turn right and then after 50 metres turn left into Woodperry Road. Follow this lane for approx 1km past houses. At the end turn right into Roman Way. At Beckley High Street turn left for the village church. After visiting the church retrace your steps.
• Turn right, joining the Oxfordshire Way footpath. At the end of the High Street the path ascends the hill between two hedgerows at first before opening out into an open field. There are fine views at this point across the flood plain.
• The path bears right to a tree-line and then left past a pond on your right to a track. Cross over the track and continue over the open fields. Just before reaching Seven Acres Farm bear right to reach the unnamed road that was crossed earlier at Woodperry.
• Crossover the road and bear right keeping the hedgerow on your left before heading south to the corner of Stanton Little Wood. At the far side of the wood turn right and walk down the edge of the wood. Turn left and then right when you reach a stream. Follow the stream before heading south towards the corner of Holly Wood.
• Keep to the side of the wood and continue south to eventually reach Mill St. Turn right along the lane and left onto a footpath. The path follows the hedge on the right. At the end of the hedge bear left across the open field to reach Hillcraft Road. At the end of the road turn left into Middle Road and return to The Talkhouse Inn.