Spearywell and Mottisfont
- Trails /
- Hampshire /
This short walk starts at the village of Dunbridge, heads east to Butt's Green and then north to Cadbury Farm and Spearywell. The return to Dunbridge is via Mottisfont. If you can find the time, explore the 12th-century Augustinian priory and its landscaped grounds. Rolling countryside, woodland and fine views are the features of this lovely walk.
1. From Dunbridge village head north past the train station and turn left shortly after crossing the River Dun.
2. Follow the footpath back over the railway track and east towards Butt's Green.
3. Do not cross the footbridge over the River Dun but instead turn right and follow the lane underneath the railway line. The path is clear as it follows the edge of an open field to your left and a small tree line on your right.
4. At the track crossroads continue forward over open land before entering woods.
5. Turn right as you approach the edge of the woods and head east past Cadbury Farm and onto Spearywell.
6. Cross the B3084 and head for the far right corner of the open field. Pass through the tree line and continue diagonally across the field until you reach Benger's Lane.
7. Turn left and then right at the T junction to enter Mottisfont. The Abbey and grounds are to your left. Where the road turns a sharp left to head down to the River Test, turn right and then immediately left to join Hatt Lane.
8. Half way along Hatt Lane turn left onto the marked footpath and cross the fields back towards Dunbridge. At the B3084 turn left, cross the railway track and enter the village.
The trail starts and ends at Dunbridge village. Roadside parking is plentiful but please consider local residents. Dunbridge train station has services to Southampton, Salisbury, Eastleigh, Chandlers Ford and Bath. By car take the A3057 from Romsey before joining the B3084, which leads to Dunbridge.