Mottisfont and The Test Way Cycle Path
- Trails /
- Hampshire /
The trail starts at the village of Dunbridge and follows the Test Way cycle path from Stonymarsh as far as the tiny hamlet of Horsebridge. It then crosses the River Test and returns via quiet country lanes, passing Mottisfont Abbey towards the end. With the exception of one or two quite short hills the trail offers flat and easy cycling. During wet periods the Test Way cycle path can become boggy in places so thick tyres and long mudguards are advisable at these times.
1. Leave the village via the main Dunbridge Lane (B3084), climb the hill and then descend to Kimbridge.
2. Turn left sign posted Kimbridge, cross the railway line and continue to the T junction at the A3057.
3. Cross over the A3057, turn left and ride along the cycle track, you are now on the National Cycle Network route 24, in the direction of King's Somborne and Stockbridge.
4. At Stonymarsh the cycle track abruptly ends on the right hand side of the road. Cross over the A3057, turn right and follow the cycle track on the left hand side of the road. The track becomes a gravel path before joining the Test Way cycle path at Stonymarsh car park. Follow the cycle path as far as Horsebridge.
5. Turn left and follow the lane as it circles Bossington House. Continue south past Pittleworth Farm.
6. As you enter Mottisfont, pass the Abbey on your left hand side and then turn right to rejoin NCN 24 at the sharp left hand bend in the road which leads downhill to the River Test. Follow the lane until it joins the B3084 at Hatt Farm.
7. Turn left and descend the hill to Dunbridge, taking care at the railway crossing.
The trail starts and ends at Dunbridge village. Roadside parking is plentiful but please consider local residents. Dunbridge train station has services to Southampton, Salisbury, Eastleigh, Chandlers Ford and Bath. By car take the A3057 from Romsey before joining the B3084, which leads to Dunbridge.