The Gridiron, A Tour of The New Forest
- Trails /
- Hampshire /
The Gridiron was founded in 1993 by Peter Davenport of the Wessex CTC. It is an On-Road Cycle Randonnee through the New Forest. The club organises an annual event in the autumn to cycle the 100 km route. The route starts in Brockenhurst, passes close to the coast before heading north through Beaulieu and Ashurst. To the north of the New Forest the route will take you through picturesque villages and hamlets before returning to Brockenhurst via Ringwood and Burley.
1. Leave the car park turning left into Brookley Road. Turn right at the cross roads into Sway Road. Continue along Sway Road for 2 kms crossing a bridge over the railway line. At the T junction turn right and pass back under two railway bridges, turning left after 1 km. Continue until you cross the cattle grid and meet the A337.
2. Turn right onto the busy A337 and then first left into Lower Sandy Down Road. Continue forward until the T junction and then turn right into Royden Lane. At the end of Royden Lane turn left into Rope Hill. Cross the river and bear right into Pilley Hill. Bear left and then turn right into School Lane, signposted Vicars Hill. At the bottom of School Lane bear right into Hundred Lane and continue to the B3054.
3. Cross over the B3054 heading for South Baddesley, bear left at the fork after 0.5 kms. At the T junction in South Baddesley turn right and then left at the next T junction. At the next junction bear right and then left after 200 metres, signposted for Sowley. At the T junction after 3 kms turn right. After another 3 kms turn right signposted Bucklers Hard.
4. Pass through the village bearing left in the village centre. 3 kms after leaving Bucklers Hard turn right passing Beufre Farm. Turn right onto the B3054 and then bear left following the B3054 past Beaulieu. At Leygreen Farm turn right into North Lane. After 5.5 kms turn left and then bear right. Pass the Otter and Owl Centre and then turn left onto the A35.
5. Pass through Ashurst and turn first right after crossing the railway line, signposted Woodlands. At the T junction in Woodlands turn left and continue to Bartley. Turn left into Shepherds Road and at the T junction turn left into Chinham Road. At the crossroad turn right into New Inn Road. Cross straight over the A336 into Winsor Road signposted Copythorne. Turn left into Pollards Moor Road, cross over the A31 and then pass under the M27.
6. In Newbridge turn left signposted Nomansland. Pass straight over the crossroads at Furzley, turn right at the T junction and then left after 200 metres towards Nomansland. In the village turn right at the T junction and then left after 100 metres. At Hamptworth turn left signposted Redlynch. Before you reach Redlynch turn left signposted Lover.
7. Bear left in the village centre signposted Woodfalls. Cross over the B3080 and then left heading for Hale. Bear left and pass through Hale. Continue until the T junction at Woodgreen.
8. Turn left and head for Godshill. At the T junction turn right onto the B3078. After 1 km the B3078 turns a sharp right.
9. Take the left turning heading for Stuckton. At the T junction in Stuckton turn left and then right heading for North Gorley. Pass through North Gorley and South Gorley, heading for Ringwood.
10. At the Rockford junction turn right passing through Rockford and then Poulner. Cross over the A31 bridge heading for Hightown. Once over the bridge turn right and then left following signs to Hightown.
11. In Hightown village turn right signposted Burley. At the T junction turn left and head east to Burley. After 3.5 kms turn right and pass through Burley Street and onto Burley.
12. In Burley village turn left and then right signposted Brockenhurst. After 3 kms pass underneath the A35 and then turn left after a further 2 kms. Bear left at the next junction, cross Hincheslea Moor along the Burley Road. In Brockenhurst turn right over the ford and left back into the car park.
There are several car parks in Brockenhurst. The trail starts from the car park off Brookley Road. Brockenhurst can be reached via the A337 from either Lyndhurst or Lymington. There is a train station in Brockenhurst with trains to Christchurch, Bournemouth, Southampton, Lymington and London. There is a regular bus service between Lyndhurst and Lymington.