Bentworth and Shalden
- Trails /
- Hampshire /
A walk from Alton through the beautiful villages of Shalden and Bentworth.
1. Start at the car park opposite Alton public library. Head towards Flood Meadows via Tanhouse Lane. At Flood Meadows take the tree lined path on the right.
2. Continue up the hill following the footpath signs as it winds its way through the housing estate. At the top of the hill go through the kissing gate. Follow the tree lined path over the crest of the hill and down to the New Odiham Road. Cross the road with care, climb over the stile and join the footpath that leads diagonally across the field.
3. As the path reaches the top of the hill you will see Southwood Farm on your left. Continue straight on keeping to the right of the farm field. Cross Southwood Road and descend towards the large pond at the bottom of the field. The path swings to the left of the pond before climbing up to Shalden village along a lane between houses.
4. At the road turn left. After 20 metres turn left off the road and follow the footpath sign alongside the left of the Shalden Church boundary. The path follows the church graveyard wall before disappearing into the tree hedge line a little further on. Follow the path as it descends gradually to the A339. Cross the road will care and continue up Well Lane. After 50 metres the road swings to the left. Continue straight on up the track. In the summer this is a wonderful path along a tree covered lane. In winter the path holds the rainwater and can become very slippery and hard work.
5. At the road junction in Bentworth turn left and then after 200 metres turn right off the road onto a path that leads up to Bentworth Church. At the church turn left onto the road and continue to the roundabout beside the Star Inn. Turn right and then after 50 metres turn left into a track. There is a post box in the wall beside the track. Follow the track until is turns to the right. Leave the track climbing up the hill. At the hill summit follow the footpath across the farm fields to Thedden Grange. Turn left past the Grange, cross the road and descend into Thedden Copse.
6. Cross back across the A339 and then cross the field heading for a small stile on the boundary of the woods. Climb over the stile and follow the path along the side of the fence before the path climbs up through the woods. At the top of the hill continue straight on leaving the woods and descending towards Alton. Join the lane that leads down towards Will Hall Farm but after 100 metres climb the stile on the left and cross the field to the New Odiham Road. Cross the road, turn right and after 20 metres take a narrow path between the houses that leads onto Flood Meadows, Cross the meadow and retrace your footsteps back to the car park.
Alton is on the A31 between Farnham and Winchester. There is a regular train service between Alton and London Waterloo with connecting stations at Aldershot and Woking. Bus services connect Alton with Guildford, Farnham, Winchester and Basingstoke. There are several car parks in the centre of town.
Assuming a constant pace and no stops, typically it will take 2 hours 58 minutes to walk the distance and along the way 793 calories will be burnt.