A superb introductory cycling experience, sharing the quiet lanes of the New Forest, with it's free roaming 'Ponies and Cattle'. The ride is perfectly ideal for beginners and families alike. Enjoy the peacefulness and scenery of the New Forest on your bicycle.
1. From the Waitrose car park, cross to cycle route, turn left along A35 By-Pass and follow to roundabout
2. Keep left to end of cycle route, under Railway Bridge (signpost Burton, B3347)
3. Next right (signpost Burton, Martins Hill Lane)
4. At cross roads, straight on (no signpost, Summers Lane)
5. At T-junction, turn left (signpost Bransgore, Hawthorn Road)
6. 2nd right (no signpost, Lyndhurst Road)
7. 2nd right (signpost Highcliffe, Lyndhurst Road)
8. At cross roads, straight on with care (signpost Holmsley), steady climb up for 1.4mls
9. Turn 2nd left (signpost Holmsley, Campsite) and follow through for 1.2mls
10. At cross roads, turn right (signpost Burley, Pound Lane) and follow through for 1.8mls to Forest Tea House on the right (SU208027, Post Code BH24 4ED).
11. Leave Forest Tea House, turn right.
12. At Burley Cross T-junction, turn right (signpost Brockenhurst) and immediately left (signpost Burley Church, Chapel Lane)
13. Turn next left (signpost Ringwood via Ford, Forest Road)
14. At T-junction, turn right (no signpost) up short rise and bear left (signpost Crow)
15. Turn next left (signpost Bagnum, Charles Lane)
16. At T-junction, turn left & immediately left at T-junction (signpost missing, Bransgore)
17. 3rd right (signpost North Ripley)
18. At 3rd cross roads, straight on with care (no signpost, Harpway Lane)
19. At T-junction, turn right and immediately left (no signposts, Bockhampton Road, The Lamb Public House)
20. Next right (no signpost, Tin Yard Lane)
21. At T-junction, turn right & immediately right at next T-junction (no signposts, Hawthorn Road)
22. 2nd right (signpost Christchurch, Summers Lane)
23. At cross roads, straight on (signpost Christchurch, Martins Hill Lane)
24. At T-junction, turn left (signpost Christchurch, Stoney Lane B3347)
25. Pass under Railway Bridge and turn right with care, to join By-Pass cycle route and finish at the Waitrose car park.
The Christchurch branch of Waitrose is located beside the busy A35 in the centre of town. The railway station is only a couple of minutes away, with train connections west to Bournemouth, Poole and beyond and east to Southampton.
Wed 11 Jan 2012, 13:24
We did this trail last weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it, not too many hills and all on quiet roads around the new forest countryside. The route directions are very clear and the maps attached to the pdf version were very helpful, all in all a very good cycle route, although it might be a bit of a trek if you're planning to walk it, might need a couple of days to complete the full route.